Pages

Thursday 25 August 2011

The Pilgrim

Me: Good morning Lord. Thank you for waking me this morning and for the gentle rain of last night which has watered the earth. Thank you for our walk and for all you show me. Please help me to stay close to you that I may hear your voice when you speak to me. I love you Lord.

Lord: Good morning Martin. Welcome to the club this morning. Thank you for your company. Draw close to me and I will draw close to you. I am never reluctant to be alongside my children and you are never to low for me to wrap my love around you. I love you.

Vision: The road is long and winding, it follows the contours of the land. It is not wide and straight like the other road. You can't always see very far ahead or round the next corner. Sometimes the road runs under the trees and not much light shine upon it.

There are many pilgrims on the road, who carry lights to show the way and, there is always singing and dancing as we travel. Although the land on either side is often dark and menacing, the road feels safe and the company good. The lights we carry shed a clear beam along the road, but to either side it seems to create moving shadows, which chill the soul.

We have been travelling for a long time and many pilgrims are weary and want to stop. It is then, as they sink to the ground to rest, that others bring fresh cool water for them to drink and bread to eat. Soon we are moving on again.

It's strange because I hardly know anyone on the road and yet I feel I know them all, for they all have a likeness to the one I love.

Every so often the road crosses a wide road, full of people rushing along. Few of them pay any attention to us as we wait to cross the road. Indeed few pay any attention to their fellow travellers as they rush along. As far as the eye can see in both directions the road is wide and straight and packed with people, yet there is soullessness about that way. Though the road is lined with bright lights and glaring adverts, beneath the bill boards are piles of human bones and discarded back packs. The noise of the travellers hurts the ears as they shout at one another.

At last there is a break in the wild stream of people, and we cross to the other side and the sanctuary of the winding narrow road. As the noise of the wide straight highway fades we become aware of the sounds of life. The birds singing, the scampering of small creatures in the undergrowth. I hear the wind in the trees and smell the sweet smell of the countryside. Suddenly the whole company I am with bursts out in a wonderful song of praise, and I feel refreshed.

After a time I realise that we have passed many crossroads and forks in the way, yet we never wavered from the path. Others have joined us. Many are limping, and some with open wounds. We stop to bind them up and refresh them. I wonder where all the bandages, food and drink come from, for none of us carries a bundle!

We soon move on. As we round a corner, the road moves out from the shelter of the trees and into a clearing. In the centre a feast has been prepared and a man, so like us all, is serving up plates of good things. He tells us it is not far to the end of the road, and the city we are making towards. There will be a welcome for us there and rooms prepared. There in that city we shall find our heart's desire. There we will experience true love.

Lord: Think on these things and be encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.