Pages

Wednesday 21 September 2011

Talking About Me

Lord: Today I want to talk to you about sharing me with others. I have watched over the years with growing sadness, the reluctance of my people to openly talk about me, and to raise the subject of their trust in me with others, unless they are of like mind. Part of the reason for this is that they are unsure of their relationship with me. That of course is easily dealt with, by spending time with me and allowing me to speak and reassure.

Part of the reason is they are afraid of being ridiculed by their friends. That probably says more about their friendships than about their faith. Real friends accept who you are, and respect your faith and understanding of the things of God. In most cases a gentle, natural sharing of your faith with your friends is a really positive experience. It can lead to a real deepening of the friendship, and in some instances lead to opportunities to lead a friend to me. Do not be concerned about ridicule for it arises out of ignorance or fear. Be silent while the ridicule, continues and let it burn out, but hold fast to me. It is only a shell surrounding the person, and, once spent, will crumble when it has no effect on you.
Another fear, that prevents my people sharing me, is the ungrounded fear that they will be unable to answer determined questions, or convince others about the truth. This fear is based on a lack of Biblical knowledge. Read my word and you will find many useful passages to help you. For example: " .... Do not worry beforehand about what to say. Just say whatever is given you at the time, for it is not you speaking, but the Holy Spirit." Mark 13:11 NIV. Send me an arrow prayer and commit what you say to me, and be amazed at how I will speak through you. As for convincing others, that is not a task for you! That is the work of the Holy Spirit. I called you to be my witnesses. That means you are called to tell your story as it happened or is happening. You don't have to elaborate or theologise what you say, just speak the truth. When you get to the point where you are telling someone your story, I am already at work in their heart and I will do all the convincing necessary.

Let your conversations about me with each other be natural. Do not be ashamed to mention my name or afraid to tell what I am doing. Oh, how often you finally confide in someone about a strange dream or experience you have had, only to find they fully understand and have had a similar experience. When you talk about me freely and share your story, you will find a real interest from those who don't know me, and a desire to know more and experience what you have experienced. Then you will have the amazing thrill of seeing faith in others born, and have the opportunity to nurture and bless them.

Your witness in the world as Christians is vital to the Kingdom. It is the way I have chosen for the good news to spread, and the Kingdom to expand. It is not an 'optional extra' or a 'tag on' it; is the beating heart of the Churches' mission to the world. Go into all the world and be my witnesses. Bring men and women everywhere to be my disciples. Heal the sick and raise the dead, tell others about the wonderful love you have received in Jesus, and watch me work! I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.