Pages

Thursday 7 July 2011

Be Different from the World

Lord: My Children, how different are you from the rest of mankind? Do you stand out as the Children of God?. Are your standards any higher than those of your neighbours and friends? When I come searching for my church, will I be able to find her amongst all the secular institutions of men?

When I chose my people Israel, I set them aside and gave them special observances and commands that made them different from all the peoples around them. The law I gave them was written by my hand on stone, as a sign that it would last for ever. No other nation had the law direct from me; all other laws were the laws of men. Some were good, rising, out of common decency and order, but they were not divinely inspired. I gave Israel special ritual observances to remind them of my covenant with them. And I warned them of the consequences of straying away from the path I had laid down for them. They were different from the nations around them, and when they followed my way they stood out as a people with a purpose, and a people with a God who really acted on their behalf. When they strayed from the path and went their own way, they soon became just like the nations around them, and I rejected their way of life and handed them over to be spoiled.

The Church was to be the successor to Israel, Indeed I gave it birth from my chosen people. I taught my disciples and followers to be different from those around them. I taught them to base their relationships, practices and lives upon a love relationship with me. I gave them an example to follow and to copy in their own lives. But always, as is the way of men, there has been a tendency to water down teachings and practices, until all you have left is a set of rules and rituals, which on their own are meaningless. Today the majority of those who would call themselves 'Christian' are no different from those who do not make that claim.

However, I want my Church to be different! I want my people to be recognisable and distinct from all the other peoples of the world. I want the love you have for me, and for one another to be seen, and for those who are attracted by what they see, to be embraced by that love, and drawn into the kingdom. Transform your lives, your homes and your relationships, and make them God (love) centred. Stop feeding your minds with violence and gloom. If you must have TV, be selective about what you watch. Do not get drawn in to negative discussions and debate. Try to see me in every situation. When you look at real life disaster or horror, look for me in it and find me, for wherever there is suffering and pain, I am there working. Recognise me in others and be glad. Let others recognise me in you. How will the world come to me if it doesn't see my love shining through my people? Do not hide your light, let it shine like a beacon. Love one another, as I have loved you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.