Pages

Thursday 1 December 2011

Trust.

Me: Good morning Lord. Thank you for waking me this morning and for this new day. Thank you for your love which passes all understanding and for being my God. I love you.

Lord: Good morning son, welcome to the club this morning and thank you for your company on our walk. We love you too.

I want to talk to you about Trust today.

Trust is a very precious commodity that has become quite scarce in many parts of human society. A baby learns very quickly to trust its mother to provide all its needs. This sort of trust is founded partly on an inbuilt chemistry I put there, and partly experience. Because mother, or in some cases father, or another regular person, always provides the child's food and milk, and keeps them feeling comfortable, a trust is built up, so that as experience expands so the trust increases. In adolescence, trusting others becomes more a matter of experience and sometimes shared experiences. In adult life, as man becomes more often let down and hurt by people, trust has to be earned, and depending on the degree of hurt, that can sometimes take a long time,

In society, trust is most often based on performance. If a politician can deliver the goods, people trust him or her. The problems arise when politicians have to do unpleasant things like raising taxes, or cutting services, then the trust relationship begins to break down. Trust based on specific performance is like chasing a cloud; just as you think you have caught it, it melts away.

The only sort of trust that really lasts and works, is a trust based on a love relationship. If you add love to the other elements in trust it adds a backbone and makes it stronger. This is why couples who stay in love, often seem to trust their partners more deeply than others.

The trust that man has in me, is based mainly on love. It starts as a person steps out in faith and tries me, like a child accepting nourishment from mother, and that develops into a love relationship, partly based on experience, but rooted in love. The trust begins to grow rapidly as knowledge gained from both study and experience grows!

It is not enough for me to tell you that you can trust me! The words need to be backed by experience or faith! Experience is gained by listening to, and believing, the promises I have made, and finding them to be true. The promises become like stepping stones leading from one to another and on. As each stepping stone is tried, and found to be firm and trustworthy, both faith and trust grow. Sometimes, in order to see if a promise stands up to the test, you have to put all your weight on it, like standing on a stepping stone, rather than skipping from one to the other. All my promises to you are trustworthy and sure. I will never let you down.

The other great element in trust is being trusted. When someone you love trusts you, you do all you can to be fully trustworthy and, as it were, repay that trust. Not only am I trustworthy, but I also trust you! Yes, I have placed into the hands of my church the most precious gift I have ever given, the good news of my Son Jesus. This Gospel has the power to change the world, by changing lives. It can begin to do that today, and I have entrusted it to you! I would not have entrusted it to you if I didn't know that you are well able to complete the task of delivering it. Yes, I know you can do it, that is why I am trusting you with it. Allow my trust in you to grow, as I have allowed your trust in me to grow. The reason I trust you is my love for you. And the trust you have in me is best founded in your love for me. Remember, love is the greatest power at work in the world today. There is no power greater than love. Love one another as I have loved you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.