Pages

Sunday 24 January 2010

Revival - Part of the Whole

2010
Sunday, 24 January
05:00:42

Lord: With your mind so much these days on revivals, past and present, be aware that there were some mighty revivals in the days of the Old Testament. Some 500 years before Jesus came, I made it possible for my servant Nehemiah, to return from exile, to start rebuilding the Holy City, Jerusalem, My Temple and the city walls. At that time the people were still far from me and had become ignorant of the Laws I had given them. They had become, to a great extent contaminated, through living with a heathen people. But in spite of this they had stayed together, paying lip service to me, and longing, as all exiles do, to return to their homes. It was I the Lord who heard the cry of their heart and made that return possible. I did this because I remembered the promise I made, to their father's Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and again to my servant David, that their generations would possess, and live in the Land I had given them, for all time.

After their return to the ruins of Jerusalem, I caused my Spirit to move amongst them, and I gave them a hunger and an openness, to my ways. Then I anointed and sent Ezra to be their teacher, and revival broke out. As in all modern revivals, this 'move of my Spirit' was centred on My Word, the Word of God. Ezra led prayers, and they sang, and they listened from dawn till noon, to the reading and exposition of the Word. All who could understand, men and women, and even children, came to hear and be enlightened. This went on every day for a whole month.

As the people heard the Word of the Lord read to them, they heard how I commanded certain practices of remembrance, to be used for all time. So they renewed their commitment to these practices. This was a great joy to them, and was all part of the renewal process. In later revivals, even those within living memory, I have renewed certain practices, such as Baptism, the Lord's Supper, and waiting on the Spirit for gifts. In each revival these practices have brought great joy. I don't want any of them to be forgotten again, but I want them always to be fresh, and in their right place, without too much emphasis on any one, to the exclusion of another. In all the Christian revivals, I want the centre to be focused on my Son Jesus. Even in the time of Ezra they were looking forward to the 'day of the Lord' - a time when I would come among them in person. I came in the person of Jesus, and am even now with you, in Jesus, through the Holy Spirit.

There are other revivals in the Bible, still to be discovered and expounded. Each one is a part of the whole picture, Like the different parts of the body, each is dependant on the others, and each adds something to the overall function of the body. At the time of the Charismatic Revival, in the 60's and 70's, many called them selves 'Full Gospel' but the real 'Full Gospel' is when all the lessons, and functions, of each revival in history, have been learnt, embraced and acted on. In the same way, a fully functional Church, does not over emphasise any one ministry or rite, but embraces them all, and recognises all the ministries and gifts, of the Holy Spirit, and uses them all, in a balance I show them.

To hasten in the next revival, hunger for souls and pray. Read my Word, in the Light Jesus gives, and focus on Him. Remain open for me to do the unexpected, and pray continually, for the young men and women I am raising up, for front line ministry. Share this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.