Pages

Friday 18 November 2011

Warts and All!

Me: Good morning Lord. Thank you for waking me this morning and for this new day. Thank you for all your love and goodness to us, and that you love us, even though we are still sinners. I love you Lord.

Lord: Good morning son. Welcome to the club this morning and thank you for joining us on our walk. We love you too.

I wanted you to publish yesterday's word on the blog. Yes, it was a word for you personally, but even when I speak to you of your life, there are times when I want you to share it with others. This is one of these times.

One of the factors that makes My word in Scripture seem so attractive and authentic, is that I have not allowed the channels I used, to hide the bad things about people. The usual accounts of human history are coloured by the viewpoint of the writer. Often these accounts are politically motivated,  and only paint the good in a person's life, usually exaggerating the virtues, and always playing down the sins. Scripture is full of the stories of those who failed, many of whom went on to be great, because they recognised their failure, and turned to me.

My Church is full of failures. Indeed most people who enter into any kind of service for me, are either full of faults or are very aware of their failures. Do not be discouraged by that. I delight in helping sinners repent and find their way to me. Sin is not always easy to shed, and sometimes it is humanly impossible to get free. That is why I sent my Son. For generations I had tried with my chosen people, to bring them to righteousness, but on their own they could not do it, and even the laws I gave them could only help them if they followed them with my help. Jesus came and dealt with human sin once and for all on the Cross, setting men free of that burden. From then on it is up to man to recognise what Jesus has done for them, and begin to live the life he has won for them, that is free of sin.

Your story, and I am talking to all of you, that story of your pathway to Jesus and the walk thereafter, is part of holy scripture, in that it is an inspiration for others, to come to Jesus and find Him for themselves. I want your stories told. Every time you confess Jesus before men, Jesus mentions your name in the throne room of Heaven, and I command that your name be written in the book of life.

Part of your story is the tale of your struggle with sin. Some of your story is of your failure. You need not glory in your failure or wallow in your former sins, but confess them with humility and allow the forgiveness of Jesus to wash over you. If the story of David did not contain his adultery with Bathsheba and his other failures, mankind would easily either think him a god, or dismiss his story as legend or myth, believing it to be the made up story of a super hero. When others hear about the struggles you have, they relate their own experiences of life to yours. And because they see similarities, they listen to your discovery of the truth, and are themselves drawn to Jesus. That is what I want! Christians are not a class of super humans who never sin, but a motley band of forgiven sinners, whom I am shaping into the perfect bride for my Son.

Condemn sin, but support and love the sinner. Lift high the Cross of Jesus, so all may see it and be drawn, like soldiers to their rallying banner. Tell your story with humility, and remember the reasons why you needed Jesus. Most of all remember that I love you, warts and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.